(Pb. Act II of 1997)
1. Short title and commencement.
2. Establishment of the School.
3. Functions and powers of the School.
6. Inspection and inquiry.
7. Board of Governors.
8. The Rector.
9. Powers and functions of the Board.
10. Business of the Board.
13. Delegation of powers.
14. School Fund.
15. Budget, audit and accounts.
17. Removal of difficulties.
(Pb. Act II of 1997)
Act to provide for the establishment of the
Preamble. Whereas it is expedient to establish the Lahore School of Economics;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement. (1) This Act may be called the Lahore School of Economics Act 1997.
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Establishment of the School. (1) There shall be established an institution to be called the Lahore School of Economics.
(2) The School shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
3. Functions and powers of the School. The functions and powers of the School shall be
(a) to provide for instruction and training in
(i) economics, finance and business administration; and,
(ii) such other branches of learning as the Board of Governors may determine with the approval of the Patron given on the recommendation of a committee constituted by the Education Department;
(b) to provide for research, demonstration and other services, and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(c) to hold examinations and confer on or award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions to persons who have passed its examinations;
(d) to select and promote faculties;
(e) to prescribe courses of studies;
(f) to establish and support other facilities for education, training and research; and
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and training programmes.
4. Jurisdiction. (1) The jurisdiction of the School shall, subject to sub-section (2), be restricted to its campus to be located in Lahore.
(2) The School shall not open a sub-campus or affiliate any other institution for ten years from the commencement of this Act after which period it may have sub-campuses or affiliate other institutions with the approval of the Patron.
5. Patron. (1) The Governor of the Punjab shall be the Patron of the School.
(2) The Patron or his nominee shall preside at the convocations of the School.
(3) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Patron.
6. Inspection and inquiry. (1) The Patron may cause an inspection or inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the affairs of the School.
(2) The Patron shall communicate to the Board of Governors his views with regard to the result of the inspection or inquiry and shall, after ascertaining the views of the Board, advise the Board on the action to be taken by it.
(3) The Board of Governors shall, within such time as may be specified by the Patron, communicate to him such action, as has been taken as a result of the inspection or inquiry.
(4) Where the Board of Governors does not, within the time specified, take action to the satisfaction of the Patron, the Patron may issue such directions as he thinks fit and the Board shall comply with all such directions.
(5) The Patron may, on the recommendation of a Committee constituted by the Patron and comprising a nominee of the Board of Governors, a judge of the Lahore High Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said Court and a Professor Emeritus or Vice Chancellor, take any action against the school including its closure.
(6) The Government may make rules to give effect to the provisions of sub-section (5).
7. Board of Governors. (1) The Board of Governors of the School shall consist of the following:-
(i) Chairman of the National Economics Foundation (a body registered at Lahore on 13th October 1992 under the Societies Registration Act 1860);
(ii) Members of the Board of Trustees of the National Economics Foundation subject to a maximum of eight members;
(iii) a judge of the Lahore High Court to be nominated by the Chief Justice of the said High Court;
(iv) Chairman, University Grants Commission or his nominee not below the rank of a whole time Member;
(v) a Vice Chancellor of a University in the Punjab nominated by the Patron;
(vi) the Rector;
(vii) Education Secretary, Government of the Punjab or his nominee not below the rank of an Additional Secretary; and
(viii) Finance Secretary, Government of the Punjab or his nominee not below the rank of an Additional Secretary.
(2) The Chairman of the National Economics Foundation shall be the Chairman of the Board of Governors.
8. The Rector. (1) The Rector, who shall be an eminent scholar of national repute and an educationist of distinction, shall be appointed by the Patron on the nomination of the National Economics Foundation on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board of Governors.
(2) The Rector shall perform such functions as are assigned to him by the Board of Governors.
9. Powers and functions of the Board. The administration and management of the affairs of the School shall vest, in the Board.
10. Business of the Board. (1) The meetings and the business of the Board shall be conducted in such manner and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed and until these matters are prescribed, as may be determined by the Board.
(2) No act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid by reason of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Board.
11. Appointments. The School may appoint such persons in its service as may be necessary on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Board.
12. Committees. The Board may constitute such committees as may be deemed necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
13. Delegation of powers. The Board may delegate to any person or a committee any of its powers, duties or functions.
14. School Fund. (1) There shall be a fund to be known as the Lahore School of Economics Fund, which shall vest in the School and to which shall be credited all sums received by the School.
(2) The fund shall be kept in such custody and shall be utilized and regulated in such manner as may be prescribed.
15. Budget, audit and accounts. The budget of the School shall be approved and its accounts shall be maintained and audited in such manner as may be prescribed.
16. Regulations. The Board may, by notification, make regulations for the administration and management of the affairs of the School.
17. Removal of difficulties. If any difficulty arises in giving effect to any of the provisions of this Act, the Government may, on the recommendations of the Board, give such directions, not inconsistent with the said provisions, as it may consider necessary for the removal of such difficulty.
18. Repeal. The Lahore School of Economics Ordinance 1997 (XV of 1997) is hereby repealed.
This Act was passed by the Punjab Assembly on 13th June, 1997; assented to by the Governor of the Punjab on 14th June, 1997; and, was published in the Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary), dated 16th June, 1997, pages 845 to 847.