(Pb Act II of 1973)
1. Short title and commencement.
3. Prohibition to carry on business.
5. Occupation of allotted sites.
(Pb Act II of 1973)
An Act to make
provisions for Timber Market,
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the Timber Market,
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
title and commencement.— (1) This Act may be
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.— In this Act the following expressions, unless the context otherwise requires, shall have the meanings hereby respectively assigned to them, that is to say—
(i) “business” means dealing in timber including operation of hand-saw machine but does not include furniture making with the aid of hand-saw;
(ii) “Government” means
the Government of the
(iii) “timber” includes bamboos but does not include fire-wood ; and
market” means the area of the development scheme of the Multan Improvement
Trust known as the Timber Market,
3. Prohibition to carry on business.— (1) No person shall carry on business and operate or work hand-saw machine within the municipal limits of Multan Municipal Committee, except in the Timber Market.
(2) Nothing contained in sub-section (1) shall apply to the manufacture of furniture with the aid of hand-saw and the sale of furniture.
4. Allotments.— The Multan Improvement Trust or any other officer authorised by the said Trust in that behalf shall have the power to—
(a) allot sites to timber merchants in the Timber Market;
(b) determine the price of the site allotted to each timber merchant, the terms and conditions of payment thereof and the method of recovery of outstanding price ; and
(c) require the allottees to erect on the allotted sites such structures and within such period as may be prescribed by rules.
5. Occupation of allotted sites.— (1) Any person who has been allotted the site in the Timber Market shall occupy the said site and carry on business there within the period specified by the Multan Improvement Trust.
(2) If a person fails to occupy the allotted site or carry on business there within the period specified under sub-section (1) his allotment shall be liable to cancellation and the site allotted to him [* * *].
(3) Any person aggrieved by an order under sub-section (2) may, within a period of thirty days of the order, appeal to the Commissioner Multan, whose decision shall be final.
[Provided that no order under this subsection shall be made unless an opportunity of being heard is provided to the appellant].
6. Penalty.— Any person who contravenes, attempts to contravene or abets the contravention of the provisions of section 3 of this Act or the rules made thereunder shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine which may extend to five thousand rupees or with both.
7. Indemnity.— No suit, prosecution or other legal proceedings shall lie against Government, the Commissioner, Multan, the Multan Improvement Trust or its Chairman or other officers duly authorised in this behalf by the Trust in respect of any action taken or purporting to have been taken in good faith under this Act.
8. Rules.— Government may made rules to give effect to the purposes of this Act.
9. Repeal.— The
This Act was passed by the Punjab Assembly on 7th February, 1973; assented to by the Governor of the Punjab on 24th February, 1973; and, published in the Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary), dated 26th February, 1973, pages 471-A to 471-C.
Proviso added ibid.